Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Real Thing

Castroville, CA

Okay, folks, this is perhaps a bit more light-hearted than normal for me ... but it reminds me that there is nothing like the real thing ... the real FRESH thing. An artichoked picked in the morning, steamed in the evening. mmmm mmmm good. There are two, no three food items, that just don't cut it with me in New York: Artichokes, Avocados, Sourdough French Bread. Try as one might, ship them as quickly as one might, nothing beats the freshness and flavor that one experiences locally (in the SF Bay Area). To top it off, this afternoon I will swing by my brother's house and grab some fresh rosemary from the garden and use it for marinating lamb. Should have stopped in Gilroy for fresh garlic, what was I thinking? We did remember to stop for a pound of fresh See's Chocolate, then my mother said she "needed" and In and Out Burger! You know they make milk shakes there with real ice cream.

Guess this trip has been a culinary delight.
Today we drive to Sebastopol ... wonder what we will find there? We're too early for apples (but then I can get great fresh apples in New York).

Did I tell you I had a seafood salad with Crab, Bay Shrimp and Scallops on Sunday?!

p.s. did I tell you about the lemon meringue pie made with lemons from the backyard?

did I tell you I got some fresh rosemary from my cousin's garden ... and mom got fresh rhubarb.  Oh and what about a salad at lunch with greens, onions, and carrots from the garden.  

All this freshness!

No comments: