Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shrove Tuesday

"On Shrove Tuesday, many Christians make a special point of self-examination, of considering what wrongs they need to repent, and what amendments of life or areas of spiritual growth they especially need to ask God's help in dealing with. Often they consult on these matters with a spiritual counselor, or receive shrift."
    So ... why then pancakes?  why then Mardi Gras?  why then partying?
    Is it our way to avoid the self-examination? Or is it our way to have one last fling?

"Carnival, which means 'farewell to meat.' " 
      The beginning of the fast?  No meat?

"Shrove Tuesday is also called Fat Tuesday (in French, Mardi=Tuesday; gras=fat, as in "pate de foie gras", which is liver paste and very fatty), because on that day a thrifty housewife uses up the fats that she has kept around (the can of bacon drippings, or whatever) for cooking, but that she will not be using during Lent. Since pancakes are a standard way of using up fat, the day is also called Pancake Tuesday."
      So no fat during Lent?

Sometimes when I explore the internet I just get more confused.

So here is my take on it
Shrove Tuesday is the final "gaiety" time before the 40 days of contemplation.

So instead of giving up something ... 
I think I will take up something!

I have it ... 30 minutes a day walking ... 
Contemplative time 

What will you take up?

1 comment:

Joan Neslund said...

Great Idea!! I have been struggling with what to give up this Lenten season and now you have given me a good idea. Now.... what shall I do?