Saturday, February 21, 2009

Home ... Oakland

Somewhere in this picture is the house our family moved to when I was 10 years old.   The two big edifices are a) Mormon Temple (big parking lot) and b) Greek Orthodox (round dome).  Now I took this picture on my way home to Rochester from Oakland at Christmas.  Mom and dad still live here ... my bedroom is no longer my bedroom ... the "rumpus room" in the basement is where I stay when I am here.  We can still see San Francisco from the front window and on a clear day it seems as though one can see forever.

It is a hanging out weekend ... doing things with the folks ... and cooking some meals that will end up in the freezer when I leave.  Today dropped Dad at church for men's breakfast while I went for coffee.  This afternoon we headed to Tiburon to have lunch at the old Swedish bakery. The only thing Swedish now is the sign with the three crowns!  While dad had Swedish pancakes ... they were not how I remember them (simple, plain, thin, with lemon and sugar).  These were yuppified ... but still good according to dad!  Mom was sure they would still sell Limpa bread ... she asked ... and they did sell her a loaf from the kitchen (they only have it to serve with meals!). For dinner we switched countries: fajitas and Mexican beer.  We have even yuppified the Mexican food with mango salsa!

Conversations around the table with brother Doug and family include telling stories from the past ... and talking about the future of the grandchildren.  We talk about growing older and friends and families who are no longer alive.  We all have different memories of grandparents and parents ... share what we like and dislike about our names ... and discover what we believe to be truth (which are often a combination of reality and desire!)

It's important to take the time to drive to and remember the "old places".  There were lots of  "I remember when"  "So and so used to live here."  "Gee this has sure changed."  etc. etc.

What do you wish you had asked your parents?
Mine are still alive ... I think I will stop writing now ... and ask my dad a couple of questions. 

P.S. Mom's Swedish Pancakes are the best.
I did offer to make Danish pancakes tomorrow night.  Wonder if they will be as good as I remember them?!

No comments: