Thursday, August 27, 2009

Connections and Elegance



Why were trains stations designed so elegantly in years gone by? Think about it ... Union Station in Washington DC (1907), Grand Central Station in NY City (1913), St. Louis Union Station (1890s) Chicago Union Station, (1925), Stockholm Central Station (1870s). The grand halls of train stations ...

The train station in years gone by were the meeting point, entry to city. A waiting place. Think about these places ... places of connection ... places where folks met one another ... journeyed to new places. Imagine being an immigrant and arriving via train to one of these fine places. Functional ... yet beautiful.

How many people have connected with one another at train stations?
Why do I feel so cozy when I get to a train station.
As simple as the one in Sacramento to as elegant as the one in Washington DC.

I think this weekend I'll stop by the train station in Rochester.
Check back ... I'll post a picture!

No comments: