Thursday, August 20, 2009

Facing our fears

"Truth is fierce and unrelenting.  We cannot change it, but we can change the way we live it.  Making mistakes, not being loved, and dying are inescapable experiences of being human; so is our fear of them.  By facing those fears, we have a change to step beyond them.  When we are willing to do the best we can with what we know, to be honest with ourselves and others about who we are and what really matters to us, only then are the lives we live and love we receive truly our own."
from Hannah's Gift
Maria Housden

Might I be so bold as to suggest that today you face one of those fears that dwells deep within and go forth.  It might be as simple as doing a handstand, painting a picture, or as complex as connecting with someone from your past .... only you know ... 


"Later that night, I sat at the kitchen table ... studying the [finger] paintings taped to the cupboard doors.  They were beautiful.  I was actually proud of mine.  A knot in my heart began to unravel.  For years I had been wanting to paint and had told myself I would have to take lessons first, so I wouldn't do it wrong.  Today, without the brushes and palettes to intimidate me, my fear had literally slipped through my fingers.  I had lost myself in the joy of it"

No comments: