Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Seasons

Living in an area of the country that has four seasons is such a delight. We are transitioning through fall now. A drive through the Adirondacks gives meaning to "fall colors" And even as I drive I wonder how those photographers manage to capture the right picture. This one .. was only one of 20 I maybe took yesterday ... and it is further south about an hour outside Utica. The sun was finally out and there to my right was this lake. But not only a lake, but the colors and the dock. Down I went ... walking through marshy waters to get as close as possible to both the lake and the dock. The trees in their variety of colors sure seem to get along a lot better than folks of different colors.

Another sign of the season. Apples. Now I got a bee in my bonnet to "can" this year. I have already put up tomatoes and peaches. Now time for the apples. My first experiment included apple chutney. I loved it. Then this weekend I decided it was time for apple sauce. What was I thinking ... four bushels I bought! By the end of Saturday we were almost done with the first two ... 28 quarts of applesauce later ... and 11 pints (or 22 1/2 pints of apple butter). Now what will I do with the rest? Friends have assured me they will last on the back porch where it is just like "cold storage" ... until I am ready to tackle the rest ... Perhaps by Sunday the 25th I'll be ready to being again.

Now ... run out ... make a big pile of leaves ... jump in it ... and just laugh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing fall, it's the thing I'm really missing, living in South Dakota for the semester.

Hope you are well!