Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tears for the dead and Prayers for Peace

I was reminded twice today about the death of the police officers in Oakland, CA this past week.  I was born and raised in Oakland and am familiar with the area where the deaths occurred. 

So these tears are for all who are touched by these deaths, slain officers (Mark, Erv, Dan and John), their families, their coworkers, and for the community.  And yes, the tears are for Lovelle,  and his family, who was at the center of these deaths.  These tears are for the many people that die daily in our communities.   For the children who die of starvation around the world. For the women who die from domestic violence.  All are children of God.  

Please join me in this prayer

God of life,
Every act of violence in our world, in our communities, 
between myself and others, destroys a part of your creation.
Stir in my heart a renewed sense of reverence for all life.
Give me the vision to recognise your spirit in every human being, 
however they behave towards me.
Make possible the impossible by cultivating in me 
the fertile seed of healing love.
May I play my part in breaking the cycle of violence 
by realising that peace begins with me.

St Ethelburga's Centre for Reconciliation and Peace
London 7 July 2005

Peace really does begin with us.
As you lay your head down this evening ... know tomorrow is another day to work for peace.

No comments: