Thursday, March 5, 2009

Story VIII: Bees


I really hadn't paid much attention to bees over the years until I got into this photography thing.  Now I am fascinated ... watching the go from flower to flower ... their intensity ... their focus .. their delicacy.  If you wander through my flickr site you will find many bee shots.

Then this fall I went to see the movie "secret life of bees" 
I loved it.  Definitely a chick flick .. there were maybe three guys in the theatre!

the following is from the book:
"The world was really one big bee yard, and the same rules worked fine both places: 
Don’t be afraid, as no life-loving bee wants to sting you. 
Still, don’t be an idiot; wear long sleeves and long pants. 
Don’t swat. Don’t even think about swatting. 
If you feel angry, whistle. Anger agitates, while whistling melts a bee’s temper. 
Act like you know what you’re doing, even if you don’t. 
Above all, send the bees love. Every little thing wants to be loved."

Some great ideas for living life ... 
Don't be afraid ... 
     It can paralyze you.
Still, don't be an idiot ... 
     Like the night I walked home alone from the ballet in Mexico City
Don't swat ... 
     Verbally or physically
If you feel angry, whistle ... 
     Acknowledge it ... but don't let it paralyze you either
     And heck, whistling can result in laughter
Act like you know what you are doing ... 
     With humility, and seeking input
      Be confident
Send bees love ... yup ... send others love

Which of these is hardest for you to embrace?

1 comment:

Loida of the 2L3B's said...

Dear Debbie,
Now I realized we can learn so much from bees. Compared to our life, I like the part that when you get angry, whistle. I guess I'll try that.