Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Living in the Present


The screen read 32 degrees. The first morning when the temperature hit the freezing mark. This signaled a need to pile on the clothes ... a turtleneck, sweatshirt, vest, real gloves, and icelandic hat. All that was missing was heavy pants and wool socks. What was I thinking 20 minutes into the walk ... it was just 32 degrees. Too early for the woolies .... there would be plenty of time to wear them in the months ahead. Instead it was time to live in the present.

As I headed out the moon was glowing like a new silver dollar ... the dense clouds had formed a V shape welcoming the moon to come in and let the sun have its glory. In the present the crisp air hit my cheeks, Teddy went straight to the pile of leaves that I built yesterday sniffing around to find the right spot to leave his mark. Finally we were ready. The neighborhood has changed the past 24 hours ... it seemed as though everyone was preparing for the Thursday leaf pick up and piles abounded block by block. There was a odd sense of starkness crossing some property lines ... homeowners that decided deciduous was not for them ... as there was only deep green grass. (I'll take the glory of the trees ... and the shade they provide any day!). Suddenly what seemed like the sidewalk was filled with leaves ... clearly no raking had been done here. But it gave the child in me a few minutes of glee as I shuffled along and heard them crunch.

Living in the present ... not worried about the day ... enjoying the sounds of the morning.
Living in the present looking ahead and watching the deer begin their morning retreat to safety of Ellison Park for the day. Even Teddy took a break from sniffing to see them up ahead.
Living in the present ... and discovering the clouds to the west a gentle pink ... the sun must be coming up behind me ... or perhaps the moon is casting the glow this morning.

I realize that the hat was a bit much this morning ... that 32 doesn't mean winter. My head is hot. I wasn't living in the present I was thinking January past and future. It is still fall. And there is still a lot of living get to do before winter. Remember what I wrote yesterday I do know that one can still hold onto the memories living in the present ... it is the memories that form the present.

So today I'll start fresh ... mind, body, attitude, hope, grace and forgiveness.

Please join me in the journey.
Live your present today.

No comments: