Thursday, November 19, 2009

Active Waiting

The title of today's post comes from my daily email from the Nouwen society (I strongly suggest you follow it!).

What a wonderful image as we get close to the season of advent. And yes, I do prefer advent to Christmas (don't tell my folks!).
During advent I am drawn into the darkness. Less lights, more candles. Less noise, more melodies. Less stuff, more space. Think about it ... Joseph and Mary ... traveling with all their possessions and pregnant. Ending up in a stable.

As I prepare for advent the house and office are transformed ... as I am drawn into actively waiting during the season ... the pleading words of O Come O Come ...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was up in the village last Advent, there was a young church musician up for a week who intrigued me; she was in the process of writing a vespers based in darkness- rather than the common theme of being drawn to the light. She was trying to get away from the common theme that "Jesus is the light" and explore Jesus in the darkness.

I, too, prefer Advent to Christmas-the hurry up and wait, the thinking and reflecting, the changing and examining. The preparation- inward and outward- is exciting.