Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Quilt of Friendship


Friendships come in many different colors and designs.  
Together they are patched together into a quilt of beauty.
And overtime there is often wear and tear on them.
When we don't attend and care for them they may fade away.
If we hang them on the wall ... we just look at them.
When we curl up in them ... they keep us warm and protect.
Sometimes they are packed up and put away away for safe keeping.


Grandma Johnson made this quilt utilizing fabrics of my childhood and my life.  It has hung on a wall, now it is away for safe keeping.  When I see and touch it I remember her, the mother daughter dresses I see in pictures take on colors. Friendships come alive.  Sometimes they are set aside ... yet when we bring them out they come alive again.


At my parents home is another quilt handcrafted by my grandmother.  It is kept on a bed, turned back nightly, and is used to provide warmth.  The handiwork of my grandmother still keeps my father warm.    Like this quilt friendships transcend generations and while developed in one era serves in another era.

These precious quilts .... precious friendships.
They come and go ... they are intricately woven ... 
They are sewn together with love
They take time

Pieced together they are beautiful.

Thanks for your friendship
My friendship quilt is so beautiful!


No comments: