Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Asparagus


One never knows what will spark a memory.  My aunt died two weeks ago and I was asked to write a few words which could be shared at her service this week.  

Asparagus.  

Remember back to the days when you could only purchase vegetables during "our" growing season?  The first asparagus of the season was always at Easter.  With a world much smaller ... fruits and vegetables can be purchased year round ... coming from Chili, New Zealand, Brazil etc.  

So I remember Easter Dinner ... with Ham and Asparagus.  It's a good memory ... one that speaks to the role families, meals and holidays play in relationships and memories.  

Its almost as if I were sitting at their dining table ... 

These are the memories to hold onto ... 
Other memories need to acknowledged ... then let go ... 

So I think I will pick up some asparagus on Friday ... and maybe a ham ... and have a dinner in honor of my aunt.

What memory does this trigger for you?

No comments: