Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Traveling with strangers

Airports are relatively quiet.  There are about 100 of us in the gate area and the conversations are limited. Husbands and wives sitting side by side, reading the morning paper.  Three young children plugged into ipods.  Others reading books and magazines.  The crew arrives and they check in showing ID and chatting about what is to come.  Perhaps the most obnoxious noise is that of folks talking on cell phones, managing their business, talking too loudly, confirming sales quotes, leaving messages, talking with contractors.  A few checking in with family saying they made it okay and are waiting to board.  The man next to me is on his third phone call "am sitting at the airport" ... "I got your message" ... and so it goes.   I know how much one company is paying for rehab on a facility, where it is, etc.  A bit too public is my guess from the perspective of the customer.  

Air travel is still for those with money and resources.  There are more men than women on the flights.  There are obvious racial disparities when compared to the general population.  This flight looks more like it is representative of suburbs than the urban community.  Who is in first class really tells the story of frequent travelers.  (Now I have to admit that I get bumped up there once in a while so I am also talking about myself.) 

Yes, I am traveling with strangers ... but I do know a bit about them.  My guess is that there are families on their way to a vacation, at least one doctor on the flight, the lawyer with the brief and big case, several retirees today on their way to visit families, a mother and daughter off to check out colleges.  One salesman off to a meeting in Florida.  And my guess is at least one person traveling to be with a sick relative or going to or coming from a funeral.   Those in this airplane represent many facets of folks who by accident are together in a airplane.  

The first leg is a regional jet ... those smaller planes with narrow aisles.  The ones where folks have to duck when walking down them.  I sit and wait wondering who will be in the seat next to me.  Oh no, might it be the "big guy".  Yup ... the "big guy" ... glad its a short flight as I am in the window seat.  My guess is that the "big guy" is really hoping that he doesn't have to sit by me either!  

Now settled in ... at DTW.  More strangers walking around making connections.  Those, like me, traveling with computers are easily spotted ... we walk with our eyes in constant motion wondering where we might find an outlet so we can charge up!  More moms and kids under the age of five ... must be traveling to visit grandparents.  

"hello, can you hear me?"  No, I don't think the person on the other end of the connection can hear her ... but those around us can hear everything.  She tries to call again.  "I have a sporadic cell phone"  An extended conversation about investments ... and so she went.

Time to board again ... perhaps more from LAX

No time to write from LAX
Now I am Honolulu 
This guy does wonderful work at Waikiki ... 
I took this pic in February ... and he is still there!

14 hour from my house to hotel.
Goodnight!

No comments: