Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day


There's change in the air today.  
Morning dew on the grass
A father walking a few steps behind his son
More cars on the expressway
The yellow gliding along the road.

New clothes
New backpacks
(whatever happened to getting a new lunch pail ... so much more fun)
New pencils
New shoes

First day of school
A churn in my stomach
Mom's excited
I'm scared
A brown dress with peter pan collar and lace
Saddle shoe
White socks

Where will I sit
Will I have any friends
Will I get lost
What if they don't like me
What will I do
I feel it all in my stomach
Am sure it shows on my face

First day jitters
Its okay to be scared
It isn't always that exciting
I'm just not sure what it will be like

Second day will be better
Because it isn't the first day.

No comments: